24 April 2013

Clothes. And stuff.


Yes.  My Closet.

Of course, you got my thoughts on Life / Style this week because I was reading a lifestyle book.  It's one of those French books out these days.  There is a lot of interest in the French lifestyle, that's for sure.

Ben brought this particular book home from the library, because that's what he does: picks out random books for me to read.  Sometimes I read them, sometimes I don't. But despite my angst about lifestyle and such, I read this one because I lived in France for awhile, and so I like to read about it.  It gives me a little kick.

Anyway, the writer had some rather lifestyle-ish things to say, but there was one thing that really did catch my attention that I liked very much, indeed.  It was the idea of a 10 piece basic seasonal wardrobe, that you augment with accessories and outerwear, etc.  So you have 2 pairs of pants, 3 skirts, 2 tops and 3 sweaters or something like that. Whatever floats your boat.  I'm not convinced, as the writer of the book seems to be, that cashmere is the answer to all of your problems, but having a simplified, deliberate wardrobe is a nice idea.

My wardrobe at the moment is a hodge-podge of hand-me-downs from sisters, friends, and mothers.  (Actually mother.  I only have one mom.)  I don't mind it; it's saved me money for sure, but it is a random gathering of things I love and things I keep around because they are nice and I might wear them someday. And truth be told, it's not a huge collection, but it's still more than I need.

Anyway, as I truck along with my 1000 Things, my clothes are definitely in the getting-rid-of category.  In fact I have been working on whittling down my closet over the past year.  If I have time amid all this doing-of-things, I might see what 10 or 15 things are essential and work around that.

It's something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment